HISTORY WRITTEN IN WOOD
The open-air museum is in the eastern part of the historic park. Over a dozen wooden architectural structures have been gathered together on a ground of almost two hectares. The oldest wooden monument is a court granary from Czechowice (dated 1784). The highlights include an octagonal barn from Kryry (18th c.), a farmhouse from Grzawa (1831), a smithy from Goczałkowice (19th c.) and a watermill from Bojszowy, now housing exhibition rooms. The Museum is of high cultural, historic and ethnographic value. It is one of the unique tourist attractions in the Silesia Province.
Its historic importance is proven by the Open-Air Museum of Pszczyna Farmhouses having been entered into the Wooden Architecture Trail which includes the most valuable and important examples of sacral and secular wooden architecture in Upper Silesia. The museum is exceptional for its historic farmhouses, most of which are built from original materials. Their interiors are furnished with plenty of authentic equipment, such as everyday farm and craft tools, hay rack wagons, freight sledges, elegant horse-drawn carriages, furniture and interesting pieces of folk art.
The museum also runs educational workshops, i.e.: "The Secret Life of Bees", "The Magic of Herbs" and artistic workshops. Of particular interest are folk events, such as Little Larch and Meetings Under the Larch, and periodic events, like the Bee Festival and Maypole Raising to mark the beginning of spring. Additionally, the open-air museum takes part in the Long Night of Museums, as well as in European Heritage Days.
BUILDINGS IN THE OPEN-AIR MUSEUM
While visiting the open-air museum you may see buildings dating back to the 18th and 19th century, for example, a farmhouse from Grzawa, a smithy from Goczałkowice and an octagonal barn from Kryry.
Visit our gallery.
EXPAND OF OPEN-AIR MUSEUM-FARMHOUSES OF PSZCZYNA
Regional Operational Programme of Silesia Province – an actual reply to actual needs. Project's title: "Development of the Open-Air Museum of Pszczyna Farmhouses - development of tourist infrastructure in Pszczyna."
For many years now Pszczyna has been immensely popular with visitors due to its rich history and the number of tourist attractions. Visiting Silesia, it is virtually impossible to miss Pszczyna. Apart from the museums, the most popular tourist attractions are the Old Town and the historic park with the European Bison Show Farm and the Open-air Museum of Pszczyna Farmhouses.
Within the project, co-financed by the Regional Operational Programme of Silesia Province for the period 2007-2013 under the European Regional Development Fund, four buildings of a total area of 552m and useful floor space of 625m were created, including:
a one-storey catering building with an attic: the inn,
a one-storey service building with an attic: the shop and tourist information,
a one-storey wooden gazebo,
a wooden entrance gate.
The buildings have been equipped to serve tourists, including computer equipment, gardening tools, furniture and kitchen accessories. The whole is completed with a complex land development, including street furniture. There is a new communication layout, with wide, hardened paths connecting the museum's "old" and "new" parts.
External lighting has also been installed. An important addition to the landscape arrangement is a millwheel with grain milling machinery, modelled on 18th-century technology and made entirely of wood. Another interesting feature is the gazebo with a little pier over the pond.
The total area of lots covered the project is 1.6130ha. The objective of the project is to equip the museum with new tourist functions, in particular to improve the quality of the tourist infrastructure of Pszczyna - the Pearl of Princess Daisy.
European Regional Development Fund
Regional Operational Programme for the Silesia Province for 2007-2013
ACTION 3.1 "Tourist Infrastructure - public bodies"
Municipality of Pszczyna
VALUE OF THE PROJECT (PLN):
VALUE OF THE GRANT (PLN):
MAP OF THE OPEN-AIR MUSEUM
Tourist information, Ticket office, Souvenir shop
Watermill, Bojszowy, 19th c.
Court Granary, Czechowice
Coach House, Warszowice
Coach House, Miedźna, 19th c.
Neo-Gothic Wayside Shrine, Poręba
Stableman's House, Wisła-Wielka, 1799
Little Barn, Kobielice, 1811
Farmhouse, Grzawa, 1831
Hay Shed, Frydek
Gate, 19th c.
Granary, Rudołtowice-Dębina, 18th c.
Barn, Kryry, 18th c.
Windmill, Zebrzydowice, 1904
Smithy, Goczałkowice, 19th c.
Gazebo with Bridge
Statue of Utopiec